Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Bavarian Beauty

Whenever I asked Germans from the north, west or Stuttgart area how Bavaria was, I always get the same response... "Ah, its Bavaria! Its not Germany!". I always thought it was a bit snobbish to make such claims almost instinctively. But after spending a few days in München for the Audi Cup, I came to one conclusion. They were right.

Most of the things the rest of Deutschland told me were actually true, such as München is bloody expensive, that Bavarians speak with a funny accent, they do this and that etc. I had the impression that for the rest of Germany, this southern state is simply not "German" enough. But see, even though they may not admit to it, I felt that the place is still very much Germany, I just think that Bavaria is the exception to the rule. Most of it. Unlike the rest of Germany, most Bavarians will give you a smile. Unlike Saxony, München will not simply stare at you with a frown on their faces. Unlike Hamburg, München enjoys a warm and sunny weather. Unlike Berlin, München is a big city with a small town feel.

All I can say is visit München and Nürnberg before passing judgment to a truly wonderful place. Come hang out in one of their hip biergartens. Drink a freshly made hefe-weizen beer. Visit the Allianz Arena with FC Bayern's friendly supporters. And most importantly, enjoy the sight of a beautiful Bavarian girl in a Bavarian dress :D

No comments:

Post a Comment