Monday, July 27, 2009

Thank You, United States of America.


As most of you know, I have made a drastic decision to move on to Europe just about a month ago. I honestly don't know how things will turn out, it could be a wonderful decision or one big mistake. Although my life is uncertain at the moment, I must point out a similar situation exactly eight years ago to this date.

July 27, 2001. I got on an airplane setting off to the America. My flight took me from Manila to Detroit and finally to Saint Louis. I was very excited to be in America, I knew that the country will provide me with a lot of opportunities and new experiences one can only get by moving away from his home country. America did not disappoint. I must admit, it was very difficult at first. I had to adjust to different cultural issues and way of living. It was a bit tough to move around without a car, learn baseball(very confusing!), and adjust to high school life with a very funny Filipino accent. Thanks to a lot of people I was able to manage. Some friends in high school were really vital, from Matt who was very welcoming, Paul who has become one of my best friends, Chris who I learned from a lot when it came to American culture and others I will not mention(but will tag) because there were so much of you!

From a gains perspective, I really am grateful for the opportunities I was able to take advantage of. Having made amazing friends, the chance to go to University, and the freedom really shared by all living in the country. I could go on and on and on about how amazing the country really is, but there is one trait America has that no other country in the world has that I truly love... EVERYONE IS WELCOME. It is so unique how once you've set foot in the country(legally) everything is fair game. You can achieve whatever you'd want to put your mind in to as long as you're ready to put work in.

I might have left "Uncle Sam" but I will never forget the people, ideology and privileges I have gained from it. It was an amazing eight years of my life no doubt. Nothing can replace living with the most wonderful and nicest set of people in the western world. It will be tough to top America, but hopefully, I will be able to give the same praise to Europe in eight year's time...

And to all my friends, thank you for making my stay in your beautiful country all the better...

'till then!

5 comments:

  1. I like this! I'd like to see what your new German friends think about this post :)

    Your move won't prove to be a mistake at all. However it shakes out, you'll be a better person, a wiser person, and a more marketable person.

    P.S. You need to allow anonymous and name/url comments here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, they're gonna have to step it up man. Its a bit weird here when it comes to making friends/hangin out. Too much do's/don'ts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah, I didnt know you moved.
    Congrats to you.
    Deutschland? ahhh ich vermisse dich, deutschland!
    You'll love it.

    Gonna have to teach zee Germans about the deliciousness of Filipino lumpia. That stuff is the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you will love Europe and Europeans even more (maybe not the French:D). You are already in love with one, aren't you?
    When you are settled, you will hopefully have some daughters (you MUST NOT have a son to name Wayne Rooney Santos, I'll do anything not to reach 10000 members in that Facebook group!!! - Christin, you're welcome;)) and you'll feel home over there. No trucks, no fake smiles, no baseball, but real bread, real beer, real football:)
    Take care Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much, Balázs! You're my favourite Andrew's friend :-)

    Good luck for you in St. Louis

    ReplyDelete